Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Lost Briefcase - The Found Prayer



Susan had surgery today at the hospital surgery center. I had await in the waiting room. I brought my brief case complete with books to read, Bible and devotional book, TREO and my flash drive with a lot of work on it. Surgery went well and I picked Susan up at the drive out and we went home.

At home I figured out that I had left my briefcase in the waiting room. I panicked. It had all that stuff in it. Work lost, treo with all my contacts, financial info and the books and Bible (which I didn't read after all.)I called the place and they called themselves looking for it and found nothing. In a semi-panic, I set out for the place even though they said it wasn't there. On the way, I thought, "thou fool, why are you panicking about this, why have you not just prayed about it? Remember Philippians 4 to worry about nothing but pray about everything. So. I did. I prayed hard and desperately. I asked God that if He could find it in his will, I sure needed that stuff. I meant business. Some of that equipment belonged to the State and I had to account for it. Selfish, I know but I prayed it just the same. I asked God to show me what He wanted me to learn from that experience.

When I arrived, the case was right where I left it. Right where they said it wasn't. Either one of two things happened - either they didn't look very closely for it or perhaps it was actually gone, but God sent it back. The former is the more probable, but the latter is entirely possible. I've seen it happen before. I've seen God re-call history - cause a do-over, give another chance


So, what's the lesson? Perhaps it's in the praying. I pray regularly., but not fervently and desperately. If I prayed as fervently and desperately about things that really matter more than a lost briefcase, I believe God would take notice.

The question is will I take this lesson to heart or will it be lost like the briefcase? We'll see.

No comments: